Healthy eating habits are becoming more popular daily as science regularly proves how the old adage “you are what you eat” really is true. Simply incorporating healthy natural beverages into your routine, like coconut water, can give you both physical and mental boosts to your body that you may not have even realized you needed!
Studies on coconut water continue to find more and more benefits, making this delicious drink a super-beverage for multiple reasons.
So what can coconut water do for you? Here are 7 scientifically-proven reasons why drinking coconut water is beneficial to your health.
How Does Coconut Water Improve Your Health?
While the “coconut meat” is often considered the treasure of the coconut fruit, the water actually is highly beneficial as well.
Coconut water is found in green coconuts while they are young, so it’s not common – you have to get it while the coconut is around six months. It can also be found in mature fruit occasionally, though. The following benefits of this liquid make it a highly sought-after prize around the world.
- Nutritional benefits – This refreshing beverage is an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, magnesium, protein, calcium, and potassium, as well as other minerals.
- Antioxidants – Your body is under constant attack from free radicals from both outside sources and natural processes that occur in your cells. These free radicals cause damage that appears in the form of diseases and aging.
Antioxidants found in natural sources like coconut water can help protect your cells from the damage that would otherwise be done by these free radicals.
- Cardiovascular health – Studies have shown that drinking coconut water can help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in animals by degrees previously only obtained with using statin drugs.
- Blood pressure benefits – The large amounts of potassium in coconut water are thought to account for the improvement that people have seen in their systolic blood pressure rates and may even help to prevent blood clots.
- Refreshing and hydrating – Coconut water is the perfect subtly sweet drink that you can indulge in without concern of high calories and carbs. It’s a great accent to your smoothies and shakes, too.
- Post-exercise restoration – When you exercise, you lose electrolytes and fluids through sweat. Beverages that contain electrolytes but also have added sugars are good for refreshing your levels but bad for your body otherwise. Instead, turn to 100% coconut water for your post-exercise hydration.
- Blood sugar benefits – Research studies on animals have shown positive results that coconut water can actually help lower blood sugar and then control it. However, controlled studies have not been performed on humans yet.
Coconut Water – Delicious and Nutritious
Instead of turning to your soda or sugary beverage, you can grab a glass of tropical coconut water to relieve that sweet craving and get a nutritional boost at the same time.
The vitamins and minerals in coconut water are good for your body and your mind. It’s a natural choice to keep you hydrated, healthy and happy!